Coat Color Genetics
General Genetics Issues
Genetics and Disease
- <NEW> Bad Genes, Babies and Bathwater - Artcile from the Australian Shepherd Health and Genetics Institute website, by C.A. Sharp and first published in Double Helix Network News, Fall 1998, Revised September 2007
- Brave New World - article by Diane Plumb which originally
appeared in ShowSight magazine - dealing with genetic carriers,
pedigree analysis, DNA testing and it's use to eradicate genetic
- Canine Diversity Project - information on various principles of maintaining genetic diversity when breeding dogs
Genetic Analysis Project - "a Research Focus on
the Statistics & Molecular Genetics of Diseases in Dogs"
at Cornell University
Canine Genetics and Genetic Testing - slideshow presentation
"aimed at providing information about the basics of genetics
and genetic testing to the canine breeding community"
- Canine Hereditary Cancer Consortium - The CHCC will take advantage of new genetic resources and technologies that have been developed at Van Andel Research Institute to develop genetic screens, diagnostic tests, and treatments for hereditary canine cancers as well as gain insight into the biology of human disease.
Inherited Disorders Database - information on various
inherited disorders - a joint initiative of the Sir James
Dunn Animal Welfare Centre at the Atlantic Veterinary College,
University of Prince Edward Island, and the Canadian Veterinary
Canine Research Page - the Veterinary Genetics
Laboratory providing information on current projects in Canine
of Genetic Disease - collection of information gathered
at the seminars presented by Dr. George Padgett, DVM
the Genetic Tide - an article from Dogs in Canada regarding
genetic defects in purebred dogs
to Find a Gene - from the UC Davis website
to Select Against Genetic Disease, with Knowledge, not Hope
- by George Packard
- Inherited Diseases in Dogs - a guide to diseases/conditions of purebred dogs which are likely to be transmitted wholly or partialy through a genetic mechanism; University of Cambridge Veterinary School
for Genetic Disease Control - "GDC gathers results
from veterinary screenings of individual dogs for genetic diseases
and makes that information available to responsible breeders,
owners, veterinarians and researchers"
Nature of Genetic Disease - article by Dr. John Armstrong
discussing the relationship of genes and phenotype and inherited
Prioritizing Genetic Defects - article by George Padgett,
- <NEW> Purebred dogs not always at higher risk for genetic disorders, study finds - A new study by researchers at the University of California, Davis, indicates that mixed breeds donít necessarily have an advantage when it comes to inherited canine disorders.
- Removing the Stigma of Genetic Disease - article by Jerold S. Bell that originally appeared in the "Healthy Dog" section of the October, 2003 AKC Gazette
- <NEW> The Surprising Truth About Mixed Breed Dogs - Many people feel mixed breeds are healthier than purebreds, but they don't necessarily have an advantage when it comes to genetic disorders